Monday, February 18, 2013

More Folding and A Plan

Tonight I tackled my neutral bucket for folding. I found lots of odd pieces in this bucket like I did with the green. Blues not so much so I must really like greens.

The other thing I did tonight was research some stash methods. I really like Bonnie's method of strips, but I don't just want to do strips and bricks. I do see how you can maximize your stash that way though. I want to leave room for charm squares and layer cakes out of the non-selvage-to-selvage scraps I have.

One thing that I did like on her post about getting started was finding a scrap project and using that as a cutting guide. Again, a lightbulb went off because I've been saving this scrap project from Fons and Porter called Scrap Happy for almost two years. I even bought the large yardage fabric for it and have been waiting for the right time to cut my scraps into strips.

After I finish folding the larger fabrics from all my colors, I will take whatever could not be folded and cut my strips for my scrap quilt from those. I need 3.5" and 2" strips, which will eat up a lot of what I have left. And then I will have fabric for my next project already cut! Only downside is that the strips are medium and dark only.

Still not any further on the February UFO. I think I might need to plan for Wednesday night to work on that one. I bet I could throw together a cute sushi background out of layer cake squares...

 

1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring me to get back to wrapping fabric. Having done 2 of Bonnie's mystery quilts, she uses the strips with the easy angle ruler to make half square triangles, too. And the idea to start cutting them for a project - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete