Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Re-SEW-lutions

Hello interwebs!

It's been so long since I posted, but actually not so long since I sewed. I'm good about doing my quilting just not posting about it.

Tonight I went back to my 2012 New Years post and laughed about how much hasn't changed. I still have too many projects, still haven't made much progress in my weight loss, still working too much. So why do I think things will be different?!?!

Well, I am still struggling with a personal goal of mine, but now I have professional help and we are taking a new direction this year. It's going to cost me a lot of money and so we are on super-Dave Ramsey mode to save up the money. Part of that goal is to finish paying off my student loans in the next month. It will be a drastic change for us:

  • No more eating out. A lot of people are probably confused by this, because most normal people don't eat out very often. Kyle and I work for the same company, known for being a work-hard, play-hard place. This has meant for both of us late nights and long weeks, meaning when the schedules go crazy, the last thing we want to do is cook. Our eating out budget has been taken down to 0.
  • Strict food budgeting at the grocery store. We struggle with this as well and I know that we can do better by better meal planning. Grocery budget is staying the same.
  • Doggie classes are suspended. I am also considering a change to our agility training as well so this is a good time for me to take time off, explore options. They still have a budget for daycare though.
  • In general, spending is to be drastically lowered. We are basically going to try and live off one salary and put one in the savings account.
Why does this change anything? The strict budgeting means the we will be at home a lot more. This means that I will have time for sewing and organizing. Of course I will need to work less to accomplish this. I'm going to try and leave my computer at work more and go to Jazzercise like I used to.

Where does that land us? My 15 minutes a day for today! Today I spent my sewing time working on my hand piecing. I finished sewing this sub-block together:

It is 1/4 of the block that I am working on. Perhaps tomorrow I will finish it.

Also on the agenda for soon is to clean up my quilt space and take inventory of the projects I want to complete. After the quilt retreat, I have a large number of projects that just need binding, and are great for the tv.

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize you finished quilting so many projects at the Retreat. Way to go! Good luck in 2013!

    ReplyDelete